Walsall played a large part in the Industrial Revolution and the fast innovation turned the village of 2,000 people in the 16th century to a town of over 86,000 in just under 200 years. During this time Walsalls main exports were saddles, chains, buckles and plated ware. Along with this, the nearby limestone provided the Walsall with much prosperity.
An Act of Parliament in 1824 provided the Walsall with lighting and a gasworks. The gasworks was built in 1826 at a cost of £4,000.